Thursday, June 25, 2015

What Obamacare has meant to my family.


Wileyfoxes.jpg
What Obamacare has meant to my family.
Robert R. Odle, Ph.D.
… pre-existing condition ....
Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare !!!  Yea … thank you those that care about the weak in our society.   This note is just a big thank you for what Obamacare has meant to my family.   A little background …

When my daughter got very sick with mould, it was right after Obamacare had raised the age a child could stay on the parent’s insurance from 24 years old to 26 years old.  Before Obamacare she would not have been able to get any insurance because of pre-existing conditions which included the mould, asthma, allergies, anxiety, etc.  
I was very familiar with pre-existing conditions from my wife who got cancer in the pre-Obama world.  I had lost my health insurance when I got laid off from a job.  I got a high deductible health insurance policy for minimum coverage in between jobs. Well, it paid most of the expenses when Julie got cancer, but a few hundred thousand came out of my now-depleted retirement.  Of course, with her pre-existing conditions, there were not a lot of options.
So, when my daughter got sick, it was right after I got married and I had good insurance from my wife’s University of Delaware policy.  Obamacare made it possible to add my daughter to our policy and get her medical treatment.  So good, we were saved my Obamacare.
Now my daughter is in Florida and should be on Medicaid but she is in a State that is fighting Obamacare at the expense of poor people in the state.  But, I am able to help her get insurance through Obamacare, which would not be possible without the new rules under Obamacare.  I wish Florida (and Texas) cared about all the uninsured in their state instead of their obsession of fighting Obama in helping the weak in our society.  (I’m one of those people that believe in being my brother’s keeper, but that’s just me, not the conservatives in Texas and Florida.)  
I am also thankful that mental health care has to be offered with medical insurance under Obamacare and there can not be a lifetime cap on coverage.  It is amazing how fast the caps are used up.  And, I see that rate of increase of the cost of health care was smaller this year .. and no, the insurance companies are still doing quite well, thanks for your concern.
Of course, there is a lot of improvements needed in Obamacare … yes, I have struggled with the website and I am disappointed in how some information about the policies online were very hard to find.  But, there are 16 million people that now have healthcare that used to go to the emergency room.  But, there are still lots of people in Texas and Florida that need our help.  There are 750,000 homeless people that need health care.  And there are 400,000 mentally ill that only get it when they are in jail.  These people and many others still need basic health care in our society.   Let’s work together and improve Obamacare and healthcare for the weak in this country.  

  

No comments:

Blog Archive