Saturday, May 03, 2008

Earth Haven - Retake

Well, that went well. Told my wife about Earth Haven and the solar house I lived in. Aside from not paying much attention, she wanted to know why she had to give up everything to go solar. I heard, "why do I have to give up anything to go solar." Hence the biggest problem, "no one wants to alter their life style for what lies ahead."

Also, I realize that converting over to a solar living style would require starting all over with this house and my life. I am returning to accepting the status quo with multiple lights on, the tv on, and the computer on all at the same time, keeping my George Foreman Grill, and nursing along my old inefficient refrigerator and dryer. The transition could be painful. I believe that is where the government has to step in.

When companies buy equipment they are allowed to depreciate the investment over the life of the equipment. This in effect removes this money over time from being considered profits and being taxable. There are also R&D tax credits, subsidies to rich farmers, etc. In addition, we have a long tradition of helping those with good lobbyists to get on government dole in one way or another. And of course, the military no longer need lobbyists since they run the show. Is it too much to expect the federal and local governments to start strongly assisting the transition to an alternatively powered country.

Didn't the government subsidy on solar end. In any case it was too feeble. A solar power system for a home will cost of the order of $20 to $40K. At the bare minimum, this should be a deduction on the income tax, perhaps spread over a decade. Even better, perhaps 10% or so should be a tax credit. The same thing goes for wind power or solar hot water heating. Passive solar should get some boost, although that is more complicated since it is easy to say a house has been designed to be passive. Perhaps, these are best judged by results. This is easily done by escalating the cost of power based on usage. A family of a fixed size pays dearly if they use more than the average power consumption for their zip code. Of course, until America notices the upcoming energy crisis and the impact it is having on our living standards, our ability to do anything else constructive, this will not be popular -- so it won't happen.

I mentioned to my tennis buddies about the solar house and giving up on all the mixers, hair dryers, etc. They were cool with it until one asked if they could gave air conditioning in the summer. I said probably not. Just shade covered houses. Well, that didn't go over well.

Anyway, I lived in a solar house in NC for four days, three of which were cloudy and rainy and my life was okay. Coupled with the other social changes in the community there, it was more fun than I have had in forever. Soon it will fade back into my memories as I get sucked back into the real world build solidly on cheap energy.

No comments:

Blog Archive