Sunday, April 16, 2006

Opportunities

When I reached college age, I had good grades and a so-so SAT. But, I never had any doubts about being able to go to college ... that's the way it used to be in America. If you could do the work, you could get into college. I didn't start to shine until graduate school. Now I have a Ph.D., but today, I probably wouldn't be able to get into college with my high school record .... or lack of one.

Is this what we want in America. Do you know where all the seats in college are going to ... foreigners who are willing to pay more for them. Now, I don't mind them taking the seats. But, let's make more seats and assure that all Americans that can do college level work get the chance.

Guess what, global competition is fixing to put the hurt on Americans. We need to start fighting back by addressing what matters .... the education of our children is on the top of this list. We either arm our children our watch them die ... not physically, just their standard of living and their general well being. Jehovah's Bush's concept of "no child left behind" is a good one. However, just saying the phrase does not make it so.

Do you care?

No comments:

Blog Archive